desired: lee mathews 'untitled'

I'm not sure if it is impending motherhood, passing 30 or just a lack of time, but all I can imagine wearing right now are garments in simple monochrome. Grey, black and white. Maybe a little camel and navy if I'm feeling wild. Loose, well cut shapes and natural fibres. Effortlessness appeals. So do flat sandals and unadorned bags. And only one piece of jewelry, please. Happily, this seems to inadvertently translate as chic and elegant. 

I love the new direction Australian designer Lee Mathews has taken of late. Her new collection for A/W 2016 is an ode to simplicity, in a limited palette and austere yet wearable shapes. How good is that drop waist print dress and that white shirt? I'm going to wear the dress with flat black Celine espadrilles; and pair the white shirt with my favourite black culottes. I was also quite pleased to find a simple black pure silk camisole (do you know how stupidly hard it is to find one that has no extraneous detailing, is pure silk and isn't hideously overpriced?)

I'm also enjoying her journal, with profiles of women of note from Australia; and the Lee Mathews Instagram is a paean to Barbara Hepworth, Alvar Aalto and Robert Mapplethorpe, interspersed with pristine shots of perfect products. 







Images courtesy of Lee Mathews

1 comment: